How to Write a Thesis Statement
Thesis Statement for Essay
The main task of the thesis statement of any essay is to show the reader the author’s position on the discussed topic. It is the argument of the highest priority for the essay due to the fact that it is the thesis statement that is to be proven throughout the paper. In the thesis statement the author makes his own point in the context of the essay topic and delivers it to the reader by means of a logical chain. It is usually presented in one single sentence
Writing a Thesis Statement for Essay
- Part one deals with stating the topic
- Part two deals with the point of the essay
How to Write a Good Thesis Statement
In order to create a strong thesis statement it is necessary to keep in mind its specific features:
- A good thesis statement is always an affirmation.
- It does not make an announcement or ask a question but asserts a definite point of view.
- It should always reveal a plan of development in its contents; reveal what concrete arguments will be analyzed in the paper.
- The thesis statement needs to correspond to the length of the paper. If it is very long and the paper is limited to three pages it is impossible to prove it and to persuade the reader that the author has a point.
A short thesis statement -> short essay;
A substantial thesis statement ->long essay.
- It can be neither too narrow nor too broad.
- A thesis statement does not present the author’s point as a subjective position but as an argument to prove.
The thesis statement itself gives the direction and the jumping-off point for the essay. That is the reason it is so important to make it right as the professionalism of the future essay absolutely depends on it.
Sample thesis statement
Being a successful psychologist (Part 1) requires a lot of knowledge and tolerance (Part 2).
See other sample thesis statements. A vast collection of sample essays contents examples of thesis statement for essay of all types.